Are you kidding me with this???

A young professional vents her frustration at her changing place in the world as she loses a significant amount of weight.

Sunday, October 01, 2006

Communing with nature means a rock up my behind

Ahhh...the simple joys of nature. The animals, the changing foliage, the merrily bubbling waterfall cascading over the slippery rocks that could at any minute cause you to trip, smash your head open and die...?

Hmmm...did I mention that hiking makes me incredibly nervous? I love it because you are privy to some truly amazing scenery (it's the one form of exercise I don't mind not having my iPod for.). Honestly, for me, as a giant klutz, for every enjoyable minute, there's one equally as harrowing- like discovering that your butt has lost much of its cushioning and your perch on a rock as you enjoy a refreshing sip of water from a Nalgene bottle is not as comfortable as you originally thought. In fact, it feels like it is getting a little TOO up close and personal with your behind. Ouch. Or that breathtaking moment when you feel your foot start to slip as you step on a log crossing a rushing pool at the bottom of a waterfall. Or that bloodcurdling scream that escapes your mouth as you see a snake winding its way across the path and your mind automatically flashes a scene from Anaconda in front of your eyes.

It's worth it, though. It really is.

The best part? I can hike again and not have to stop to rest because my ankles hurt or I am out of breath. I can run, I can climb rocks, I can jump over logs, and while it's tiring, it's beautiful and amazing.

I'm in New Hampshire for the weekend, which, I must say is quite the departure from the city (I guess this goes without saying, but I still had to say it). I love coming up here to visit and vacation but could I live here year round? No, absolutely not. I would miss the city and all of its charms and quirks. The simple pleasures of walking through the Common and the Public Garden, the buildings with their wonderful architecture and seeming personalities, and how big it all seems. Oh, and i'd miss the people. The hurried, frenzied crowds that squish me on the T, trample each other at the Filene's Basement wedding dress sale, riot about the Red Sox...wait. Why would I miss them? I don't know. I guess we're all in this together. And have I ever told you how fun it is to people watch in the city?

Anyways, I've been thinking alot about what it means to be "normal." What a subjective idea! We are all so different as individuals that I can't even believe that we fool ourselves into thinking that there truly is a set definition of what it means to be "normal," or that so many of us strive for this socially constructed "norm."

Hundreds of years ago, "Rubenesque" women were the desired and sought after shape. Fast forward to today and Kate Moss (who, frankly, I don't see what the hoopla is about) is the desired ideal. I think most of us are smart enough to conclude that her pre-teen boy(or emo band lead singer, if you will)figure is unnatural and NOT the norm for most women in society, but that does not stop women from convincing themselves that it IS the norm and it certainly doesn't stop the media from trying to convince us that it SHOULD be. How DARE they? We'll get angry that the government tries to have control over what we do with our bodies, but we'll sit here and take it when the media does the same thing????????? I just don't get it. :::sigh:::

Oh, and while i'm at it, it makes me SICK when the magazines extoll the virtues of the "curvy woman" or the "bigger woman" and then show pictures of Gisele and Catherine Zeta Jones, both of whom must wear size zero and two respectively. Puh-lease. Get real. It INFURIATES me.

I digress. I think my point is that now that I am not considered "fat" anymore, I tend to get pretty giddy when I think "I'm normal again!" Well, hold the phone. Why wasn't I normal before? Most of the United States is obese. I suppose I was the norm in reference to the obese population, but not the way people WANT the norm to be. How confusing and what a horrible way for me to think of myself. I am still the same person, and that is the concept that I really struggle with.

Oh, yes. I am sure everyone is on pins and needles for the weight loss update, so, I am up to 46.2 pounds shed :) 26 more to go. It seems like just yesterday (i'm cringing at this cliche- sorry)that I had 72 pounds to lose and just a little hope to cling to. I honestly cannot believe how far i've come since then. Everytime I see myself in the mirror or I get on the scale it it still always just a little bit surreal. Oh, yes, and did I mention how fun it is to freak the crap out of people that haven't seen me in a long time??? HA! It's one of the highlights of this weight loss thing ;)

Ok, i'm off to have a bit of breakfast. :)

Oh, and to everyone who wants a before picture, i'm working on it! I tended to steer away from the camera lens in the past, so i'm trying to find a body shot. Patience, my dears.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home