Are you kidding me with this???

A young professional vents her frustration at her changing place in the world as she loses a significant amount of weight.

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

chuck norris I am not

First of all, who the HECK listens to ABBA? Well, apparently, I do. Don't judge me. Everyone has something. I bet lots of people have the "Backstreet Boys" or "O Town" or something equally as revolting (sorry if i've offended you.).

Second, lest you be completely confused by the random mention of Chuck Norris, i'd like to only partially confuse you and set up a little metaphor here. On October 8th I will be running in the Boston Athletic Association's half marathon. Yep, that's right. I've paid my forty-five buck entrance fee, and if you type in my name under the "search athlete" box, my name comes up (You'll have to trust me on this, since you're not getting my full name. ). I'm getting that damn participation t-shirt! I really want to have at least have one t-shirt other than my college varsity v-ball one (that is now too big) that I can wear to the gym with my Harvard University pants. This way they'll not only think i'm super smaaht, they'll also think i'm wicked athletic (that's a pseudo-Boston accent i'm trying out). I kid, I kid. But I really do want that t-shirt. And, to be fair, I am quite athletic. I was a dancer and figure skater, played softball for seven years, and I also played Varsity volleyball in College. So HA!

In all seriousness, I signed up for this with my uncle and a co-worker and it means alot to me to finish this, even if I have to walk some of it. I guess it's symbolic of how much of a change i've undergone and what a fresh start i've gotten in my life. I really haven't been running for very long- maybe two months at the most. This is where the metaphor comes in. WHAT THE HELL WAS/AM I THINKING??!?!?!?!? Most people would start off with a 5k and then a 10k, and then maybe a half marathon. I just went straight to the big leagues. I must be crazy. I might as well go fight Chuck Norris with a karate white belt (I think that's the one you get with the uniform). I'll give it to you straight- I am terrified. I know I will finish. Even if I have to walk half of it- I am finishing this thing. I've come so far that there is no turning back now, even if I have to crawl across that finish line, i'll be there. I'll be the one wearing the Harvard pants.

On another interesting note. I had a meeting at work today and this guy that I used to secretly admire (i.e. think was smoking hot) was checking me out throughout the whole thing(appropriate, eh?). Let me just say that he didn't pay me one iota of attention until he saw me today, forty pounds lighter, and when he did talk to me pre weightloss, he was a total jerk. I guess I was flattered (more like really satisfied), but frankly, how shallow is he? He's going to pay attention to me NOW??? Well, you know what? No thanks. If you could discriminate against me because I was fat, then i'll discriminate against you, shorty.

This isn't the only guy that i've surprised these past couple of weeks. I'd like to send a special shout-out to an old stalker of mine that I gave a heart attack to last Tuesday. (Thanks for that one, G. It was pretty sweet to see ME freak YOU out for a change. ) I hadn't seen him in months and when I randomly showed up and ran into him, he stopped dead in his tracks, his jaw literally dropped and he stood there, rooted to the spot, unable to move as he stared at me in complete disbelief. Pretty darn satisfying, I must say. I like being in the driver's seat. I think i'll stay here...

Hmmm...you know what I've just realized? All of my posts make me sound like a man hater. I'd just like to say that I adore the opposite sex(one guy in particular). I love almost everything about them- the way they feel, the way they smell, their voices, their personalities, how different they are from me, and so much more. There are many men who have been wonderful to me no matter how big I got and to them, I will always be extremely grateful. I will say that I think that my view of what I am looking for in a guy has changed. I always thought that when I "got skinny" i'd go for the hottest guy that I could find and that would have me. Now I KNOW that the guy I go for is going to know that there are MUCH more important things in life.

If the guy happens to be hot, so be it ;) Hey, let me have my fun!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home